[linux-audio-user] Re: Boa-Conductor (was re: Raton)

From: David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 09:39:07 EET

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 19:02,
linux-audio-user-request@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> > So how would Raton-Conductor work? Again, not as simple as it sounds.
> > Minimally, one would move the mouse in a ecliptic (or circular) motion
> > (as suggested by MagicBaton's instructions for beginners). The size of
> > the vertical diameter (or average diameter) would be the
> > volume/expression and tempo or time-codes set by the change in vertical
> > direction from down to up. Real conducting patterns are more complex but
> > these two principals would more or less remain.
>
> I started tinkering after I read your message, and I created a little
> gadget that traces mouse motions and recognizes fairly general conducting
> patterns. One can extract timing and intensity information for the purpose
> of generating MIDI clock events as well as MIDI controller values. I'm
> tentatively calling it Boa Conductor.

Cool!

> I've got a few questions:
>     1. Is anyone interested in a tool like Boa Conductor? What I've done so
>     far was just for kicks; I now have to decide how much time and effort
>     to put into polishing it.

I, of course, would be interested.

>     2. Are there any MIDI sequencers/players for Linux that can be driven
>     by external clock messages? My understanding is that Rosegarden does
>     not currently work as a slave but that may change in the future.
>     MusE can work as a slave, but I never used it before (has anyone
>     tried driving MusE with clock messages?). I don't think timidity
>     expects to be driven by a MIDI clock. How about other MIDI players?
>     3. Would it make sense to have a feature that uses JACK Transport
>     rather than MIDI clock?

There are a few alternatives. Not much that I have on Windows or Linux support
clock messages. MagicBaton was a MIDI-player that added events based on the
mouse-conducting.

Alternatives:

1. Run the Boa in Parallel with whatever sequencer or player is going through
jack or such. Boa would then put out simply omni/overall level and tempo
events.

2. Run Boa as a plug-in Rosegarten, Muse or other such program. In this case,
it would work on one track/channel and insert expression (and tempos) or in
an omni mode as above. For rehearsing (MagitBaton's parlance) one track, one
would probably want to disable tempo changes and conduct expression.
Omin/overall would do level and tempo.

3. Controlling another software via midi-clock and some volume control device.
This assume, naturally, that this software is available :-)