[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] linuxsampler cvs from this weeks compile problem

From: Christian Schoenebeck <schoenebeck@email-addr-hidden-engineering.org>
Date: Sat Jan 22 2005 - 15:52:30 EET

Es geschah am Freitag 21 Januar 2005 15:58 als Julien Claassen schrieb:
> Hi!
> I just downloaded linuxsampler cvs at the beginning of this week. After
> copying some standard scripts (ltmain, ltconfig, config.sub...) into the
> linuxsampler directory I could execute: aclocal, autoconf, autoheader and
> automake without any problems. When I typed make though I got the following
> problem:
[snip]
> Synthesizer.cpp:152: instantiated from here
> ../common/Resampler.h:70: can't find a register in class `GENERAL_REGS'
> while reloading `asm'
> gmake[4]: *** [Synthesizer.lo] Error 1
> gmake[4]: Leaving directory
> `/home/src/tarballs/new/linuxsampler/src/engines/gig' gmake[3]: ***
> [all-recursive] Error 1
> gmake[3]: Leaving directory
> `/home/src/tarballs/new/linuxsampler/src/engines' gmake[2]: ***
> [all-recursive] Error 1
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/home/src/tarballs/new/linuxsampler/src'
> gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/src/tarballs/new/linuxsampler'
> gmake: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Here are some facts about my machine:
[snip]

Es geschah am Freitag 21 Januar 2005 16:24 als Alfons Adriaensen schrieb:
> I went through the same exercise just two days ago (for linuxsampler,
> liblscp and qsampler) and managed to get it to compile.
>
> But life is much easier if you do
>
> make -f Makefile.cvs
>
> followed by ./configure, make, make install.
>
> Maybe the problem will just go away if you follow this procedure.

It won't. The mentioned problem is caused by clobbered registers in the
MMX/SSE assembly optimizations in the synthesis algorithms. But it's actually
not a bug in LS but a problem with some GCC versions. So you either have to
upgrade your GCC to a more recent version (3.3.x should be sufficient) or
disable the MMX/SSE optimizations in LS at compile time.

And as said, the usual compilation procedure for using CVS versions is

 make -f Makefile.cvs && ./configure && make

This accounts to all libraries and applications from the LinuxSampler project.

CU
Christian