Re: [linux-audio-user] DeMuDi unusable on widescreen nVidia LCD

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 23 2005 - 11:55:22 EET

Last Saturday 22 January 2005 23:14, Jon B was like:
> Perhaps a suggestion for another distro / distro modification?  (Feel
> free to point me to instructions instead of writing them out.)  A 2.6
> kernel would be nice, so I can have the integrated ALSA and
> low-latency, and so I can write to NTFS partitions, but none of the
> debian music distros seem to use it.  Why is that?  I like the idea of
> debian handling dependencies for me, but it hasn't really handled them
> that well in practice.  I am not apt enough to fully get apt-get, I
> guess.  So I would consider another package system, although I fear
> the alternatives are even scarier.

Free is working on a 2.6 kernel for DeMuDi, but I don't know whether it's
useable yet. I do think A/DeMuDi is possibly one of the easiest ways to get a
working Linux-based music system. Try using synaptic.

> Hmmmm... I could use LIbranet (or mepis or something?) to install a
> minimal system, dist upgrade to debian unstable, and then upgrade to
> demudi, right?  That might be my best option...

No. If you want to use DeMuDi, then install AGNULA/DeMuDi. You are asking for
trouble if you try to install it backwards like this. The main problem you
are likely to be experiencing with DeMuDi is that it doesn't support
proprietary drivers, so the nVidia support is limited. PlanetCCRMA/Fedora or
Mandrake might be more sympathetic to your hardware.

cheers

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk