Re: [linux-audio-user] emu10k1 multichannel support

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 06:52:27 EET

Lee Revell wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 01:54 +1100, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
>

>>>Please try the new version. I believe I have fixed this bug.
>>>
>>>http://www.alsa-project.org/~rlrevell/emu10k1-multichannel-v004.patch
>>>
>>>Lee
>>>

>>this patch works well
>>
>>- no xruns using hw:0 at 48000 or 44100 .... runs exactly as i was using
>>it pre-patch.
>>
>>- using your "quickstart" command, i was able to connect hydrogen and
>>ardour to jack and record a few bars of hums (multi-tracked hums, at
>>that) into ardour with no problems. there were a few xruns when loading
>>up ardour and loading a song, but that's normal isn't it?
>>
>>- wavetable synth is back in action, too ...
>>
>>i was gonna just apply this new patch, give it a go, and then uninstall
>>it - but seeing as it seems to work exactly as before on the default
>>(hw:0) device, and that it introduces a new, capabilities-laden device,
>>i'm gonna leave it there :)
>>
>>this is quite impressive! keep it up!
>>
>>... now to try and get ld10k1 installed (i think the current - last? -
>>version is incompatible with sb live) ...
>>

>Great! Thanks for testing this. I think this patch will be included in
>ALSA 1.0.9 if no other bugs are found.
>
>This also seems to solve the problem causing complete system lockup when
>using a period size less than 128 frames.

hi lee,

well, things are going *absolutely magnificently* with your emu10k1
patch - i haven't really tested it at 128 frames, but it works
brilliantly at 256 (i've tested it running ardour, hydrogen, muse, and
two vst plugins + vkeybd at the same time - incredible!).

my only problem, now that i've sort of got the hang of things, is
recording - i don't seem to be able to isolate the ac97 input as before
... when i try to record guitar or vocals over other tracks in ardour,
it keeps mixing the pre-recorded stuff with the line input stuff!! i'm
sure it's just a mixer setting i have to adjust, but i don't know which
.... it certainly doesn't seem to be the same adjustments i had to make
before the patch?

so, can you tell me how to isolate the ac97 channel?

(in qjackctl, i have only inputs 1 + 2 connected, going into ardour's
inputs - not sure if these are the right two out of the 16 on offer).

cheers

shayne