Re: [linux-audio-user] Decent reverb, and DSP in hardware?

From: Robert Jonsson <rj@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 26 2005 - 19:12:38 EET

Hi,

onsdagen den 26 januari 2005 16.13 skrev Mark Constable:
> Steve Harris wrote:
> > Well, I'm not a reverb expert, but my impression is that convolved
> > reverbs are the way to go*. The actual code is relativly simple, and we
> > allready have open source examples, and its possible for people with
> > decent recording equimpent and access to spaces with interesting
> > acoustics, or artificial reverb units to capture thier own impulses. They
> > can also be synthsised using a method similar to raytracing.
>
> Sounds encouraging. Surely there is a really obvious and
> common set of a dozen or so presets that would cover 90%
> of most users needs ?
>
> To me, the main need for a highly configurable interface
> is because there is no obious "Hall 1" thing to click on
> so, sure, we need reverbs interfaces with lots of intricate
> and barely understandable options... if these mythical presets
> were well targetted and convincing then most folks would not
> need to understand the inner sanctum of audio engineering
> to have some half decent onboard reverb.
>
> > The downside is that the parameters you can control are very limited, and
> > it burns quite a lot of CPU power, and there can be latency. The upside
> > is that the sound can be very good.
>
> Most encouraging.

Some years ago I experiemented quite a lot with brutefir and the result can be
extremely good, though very CPU consuming... And if I understand things
correctly, unless Lake DSP's patent can be circumvented or proven invalid
(Oh, I think it's already been proven invalid, but not in a legal
sense...IANAL) we will have a hard time getting the CPU-cost down.
Still brutefir is a working OSS solution that plugs into jack, no guis
though ;-).

If anyone wants to experiment there's always http://noisevault.com/ with
plenty of impulse responses.
I've got some config files for brutefir also, if anyone is interested. It's
kind of tricky to get going though...

Regards,
Robert

--