Re: [linux-audio-user] LAU podcasting

From: Mark Constable <markc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 11:26:10 EET

omjn wrote:
> correct if I'm wrong, but isn't "podcasting" specifically referring to
> the process of automating downloads to your portable media player,
> specifically the iPod (hence the name), using RSS encapsulation and some
> sort of automagical scripting. it isn't a new channel as such, but a
> wrapper and buzzword around the same old channel known as "webcasting",
> or simpler still, hosting an mp3 file on a webserver for someone to
> download. (like the example you provided - it just happens to formatted
> like a traditional broadcast medium).

You are quite correct. "podcasting" just happens to be a new
buzzword for a technique that's been around for ages, with
a recent extension that pulls the results directly onto an
iPod or mp3 player for those who have such things.

But, as it turns out, the core of the principle is just an
mp3 that anyone can download anywhich way they care to.

> I don't say this to be a downer on your suggestion, but if you're
> actually talking about webcasting or file hosting, hasn't that been
> around for a long time, and don't the same old problems of access to
> bandwidth and server space still apply?

Yes and no, because "podcasting" is fairly new and getting
lots of attention there are now aggregators and sites
specifically set up to channel and filter the incoming
content. Another aspect is that because of the genre the
podcasts tend to be lo-fi'sh and between 10 to 20Mbs in
size so they are within the realm of feasibility to deal
with, even for 56k dialup users (either upload or download).

> I remember some discussion on list about videos existing covering the
> basics of Linux Audio. Is this the type of thing you are after?

That would be absolutely brilliant but it raises the bar
of involvemnet way too high for most people in 2005.

> I only bring this up as I am interested in your request but not exactly
> sure what you are requesting. I may have access to a streaming server
> in the coming months and/or would be interested in putting together some
> basic demo recordings for various synthesis and processing techniques
> using linux tools specifically related to soundscape design and
> composition. I get the feeling people would like to know the range of
> sounds that linux audio is capable of but aren't willing to install a
> distro or even run a liveCD just to tinker and find out themselves.

And even if they do they are at the mercy of very little
documented support short of getting involved in mailing-lists
and forums/wikis to work out what to do next.

> also, something like em411 might be useful, but specifically for linux
> audio, where people can host tracks in the same place as descriptions
> (including images/screenshots) of their setups, and descriptions of how
> the tracks were made. I'm not sure I have the time to manage something
> like that myself, but would be very enthusiastic to get something in
> this veign off the ground. Something like a LAU wiki, which could
> incorporate all of these things?

ANYTHING at all would all help to raise the profile of
usibilty if linux audio.

http://alsa.opensrc.org is always available for such things.

> just some suggestions.. feedback appreciated.

I jump on the podcasting bandwagon because...

. it's gaining inertia as a legit medium in it's own right
. the structure to input into podcasting feeds is there now
. the exposure to a non-nerd non-linux crowd is there now
. creation of the lo to medium fidelity "shows" is doable now

Anyone is free to set up any kind of system they want but
getting inertia and exposure to some tipping point that
other people create content is the hard part... the initial
idea is easy, getting viable follow through is the hard part.

Even though webcasting is old hat I still have not heard
anything at all let alone "interesting" that I could call
linux orientated webcasts.. perhaps a few conferences where
I can barely make out any legible discussion... BUT since I've
been listening to podcasts I have been blown away at the range
of innovation that people have "sudeenly" come up with...
flipant stuff like people in baths interveiwing other people
via Skype, dykes eating pizza (heh, go Madge) and reasonably
enthralling "soundscene" tours... wild stuff that I could only
dream of people getting up to years ago... now for some reason,
which happens to be because of a new fad called podcasting,
this stuff is coming out of the woodwork.

What I've heard so far is all kinda cute but there is no
content of "serious" interest to me... and the natural area
where that makes sense is linux audio people doing sound scene
tours of their own setups and how they use their own systems
for creating music on linux. It SHOULD be ultra easy for
anyone with a mic to just start rambling on about their
linux setup and describe verbally their usage of various
software programs and for us to actually here the results
of their tinkering... and I for one would be ABSOLUTELY
fascinated by such content. The other thing I'd like to see,
or hear, is ogg content instead of mp3... it'd be wonderful
to cause a stir by having iPod users download oggs they
can't play... oooh, I'm naughty :-)

Pulease, I almost beg anyone to plug in amic and give it
a go.

--markc