Re: [linux-audio-user] ams PCM input?

From: nescivi <nescivi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 13:18:08 EET

Hello Paul,

PC> Also, is there a module that will convert an audio signal to CV? I
PC> know MCV converts MIDI to CV.

Doesn't AMS have an envelope follower?
Depending on what you want to achieve that one would be a simple
solution for some simple control (I'm using it quite often for
processing with the Nord Micro Modular).

If you want it more complicated you can make a set of parallel
filters, which all filter the bass signal, put envelope followers
behind them, and you would have a simple "pitch" tracking system.

I think it is wise to try and use the modules at hand to achieve what
you want, before trying to write new ones.

Pitch in itself is a bit more complicated than frequency alone. Pitch
is the perception of the frequency content that a musical instrument
produces. It has a relation to the frequencies that we can measure,
but there are some fuzzy things in this relation, which make things
harder to program.

But then again, maybe you do not need pitch for your control, and just
some kind of rough indication of the frequency content to use as
control signals.

I hope this helps,

sincerely,
Marije