[linux-audio-user] Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev]

From: <davidrclark@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 21:14:07 EET

Flo,

I'm not sure why Fons suggests convolving a stereo image with a,b,c,d.

Generally, what is happening in a real room is that there are many source
locations: L0, L1, L2, L3, ..., Center, ..., R3, R2, R1, R0 for "simplicity."
You could have them all over the room.

Each of these can be considered to be a monophonic source, so the convolution
would entail a left and right IR for each of these source locations, one for
each ear.

If you actually took a stereo image --- say from a CD --- and peformed the
convolution Fons wrote about, you would hear signficant comb filtering,
causing many of the timbres to be altered. I'm sure Fons knows this; I
mention it because one needs to be careful about what is meant by L and R.
In my own Mixster stereo convolution tool (Verbster), I don't allow convolution
of stereo sources to produce stereo images for this very reason, that is
to discourage users from taking a stereo image and reconvolving it.

I would be open to communicating via email rather than post more here, but
I really don't want to join LAD and don't read it.

Regards,
Dave.