Re: [linux-audio-user] Traktion

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 30 2005 - 00:04:05 EET

Lee Revell wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 21:47 +0200, David Baron wrote:
>

>>This one may well be the first fully capable audio/midi DAW program to work in
>>both Windows and Linux. This is because it is not based on Microsoft's
>>framework. I got the freebie while this offer was around. Version 2 is
>>supposed to come out soon.
>>

>Has anyone ever tried to get Ableton Live (my personal favorite of the
>closed source audio apps) to work under Wine?
>
>Lee

yeah, and it's no go - won't even start as far up as live 4.0 ... damn
shame, too - it's the one windows audio app that isn't really provided
for by free software yet :(

on the other hand, you *can* use Muzys without a hitch - i'm using it
with more success on linux than i ever achieved on windows ... but
funnily enough, i hardly use it ... really getting used to these linux
apps :)

the good thing about Muzys is anyone can get a cheap version by buying
Computer Music Magazine - it comes with the cover disc (as well as the
usual bunch of free/trial vst plugins, loops etc). as an added bonus,
every vst plugin works from inside Muzys.

Muzys has a fairly strange interface compared with traditional
samplers/sequencers - but once you get used to it, it is incredibly
flexible and complex ...

check out computermusic.co.uk for more info

i'd say forget tracktion - i've gotten it to "work" by selecting "oss"
as sound driver in wine .cfg, importing an audio file into the sequencer
and pressing "play" - sound comes out, but it is pretty broken up ...
too much effort would have to go into making this work, that could be
better spent elsewhere.

i'll soon be filing quite a big report on usable/non-usable windows
audio apps in the wine database, and putting links up on "vst on linux"
page.

for now, you will have good experiences with - muzys, wavelab,
tracktion, and samplitude (can't use vst plugins in samplitude - freezes
it).

shayne

shayne