Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] disk recovery problem

From: R Parker <rtp405@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 31 2005 - 09:15:04 EET

--- David Cournapeau <cournape@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> It is a kind of OT, but I couldn't find any
> useful information, and
> I already wasted half a day on this problem, so I
> thought someone here
> would be able to help me.
> It seems like my partition table is messed up,
> and I am not able to
> mount all my partitions. For example, mount refuse
> to mount /dev/hda12
> on any directory: when I do a mount -r /dev/hda12
> /mnt/tmp, mount tells
> me that hda12 is already mounted, or that /mnt/tmp
> is busy. The
> partition is not mounted for sure, and I tried
> several other tempory
> locations, without any success. The "funny" part is
> that a fsck.ext3
> /dev/hda12 doesn't give me any error when I check
> the filesystem (which
> let me some hope about the possible recovery).
>
> Basically, I think the problem is only coming
> from a wrong partition
> table, but I don't know how to recover the good
> beginning/end of the
> partitions

Is your point that if you know the beginning and end
of hda12 you could write a new table and without
formating mount it and find the data in place? I
think that's possible but how do you find those
locations, I haven't a clue. I believe this is
something I did once but it's been a long time and I
can't recall much. Sorry! I'm sure someone here will
have a much better clue than my pitiful last resort
and vague at best idea. Best of luck.

ron

 (the partitions used for the OS itself