Re: [linux-audio-user] Speeding up Speech

From: Dirk Jagdmann <doj@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 31 2005 - 19:25:58 EET

Phillip Blevins wrote:
> Ah, thanks for the suggestion, I had wondered about using a high
> sample rate at high speed and then slowing it down. Any idea how
> slowing the file down could be accomplished?

The trick here is to just record and don't make any conversion. How will
then just need to alter the WAV header to the correct sample rate (this
can be done on good audio software). I'll explain this closer.

We assume you have a tape running at 4x speed. Then you'll sample with
88.2KHz. If you would play back this recorded sample with 22KHz then it
will be played 4x too slow. But has we have recorded it 4x too fast
you'll have the correct speed.

Every good audio/sample editor can adjust the sample rates *without* any
conversion (so they just alter the values in the file headers). If you
favourite sample editor insists on converting sample rates you should
either get yourself a better program or just load a hex editor and
change those 4 bytes for yourself (assuming .wav).

> As for my track splitting question - I've found tracksplit
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/tracksplit/ which allows me to
> specify a minimum track lenth the and the amount of silence to split
> on. This turns out to be perfect for voice wave data.

[I posted this answer again to LAU, as I think other might be interested
in my anser as well.]

--
---> doj / cubic
----> http://cubic.org/~doj