Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] disk recovery problem

From: Kristian Rink <kristian@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 14:03:29 EET

Hi David;

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:45:28 +0900
David Cournapeau <cournape@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> partition is not mounted for sure, and I tried several other tempory
> locations, without any success. The "funny" part is that a fsck.ext3
> /dev/hda12 doesn't give me any error when I check the filesystem
> (which let me some hope about the possible recovery).

Have you tried booting off a live cd (like Knoppix) and accessing the
partition from there?

> table, but I don't know how to recover the good beginning/end of the
> partitions (the partitions used for the OS itself seem OK, my linux is
> works flawlessly, "only" my last data partitions are not accessible
> anymore). All my partitions are ext3.

You might want to check out gpart to guess partition beginning/end
boundaries. In worst case, you might try an "mke2fs -S" followed by an
e2fsck in that drive (chances are you get some data off this one). But
overally I don't really think this is an issue caused by a broken
partition table. How does cfdisk see the drive in question?

Cheers, Kris