Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: DeMuDi unusable on widescreen nVidia

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 16:35:36 EET

Last Tuesday 25 January 2005 06:32, Jon B was like:
> > That FAQ is a little out of date. Neither I nor anyone else has had time
> > to do anything about it. Sorry.
>
> So you're saying it should be a wiki...

No, it already _is_ a wiki.

> > What you say is probably possible. Good luck!
>
> Possible, but not without a struggle.

Yeah I know.

I've put plenty of time into ignoring what the various developers &
maintainers have to say about best practice and generally it turned out to be
a right PITA. These days I generally recommend that everybody install DeMuDi
from the AGNULA/DeMuDi CD installer. The fact that it is now up to date with
Sarge doesn't make for any easier ways to install the system _and_ optimise
it for music-making. The only reasons AFAICS for not installing DeMuDi are
that you don't want to make music or you don't want Debian.

As the OP was particularly bothered about using DeMuDi with widescreen nVidia,
which I'm guessing would need proprietary drivers (CMIIW) there didn't seem
to be much point going on about it. I figured that they would work this out
at some point. For some strange reason, most Linux users seem to take being
told that something can't be done as a challenge. Don't know why. ;-)

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk