Re[2]: [linux-audio-user] Re: Decent reverb

From: nescivi <nescivi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 22:58:01 EET

Hello,

SH> I havent looked at your software yet, but I'l download it and give it a go
SH> when I have time. You didnt post your URL BTW :)

I'm also interested in taking a look at this software,
could you post the url again?

>> I'm not a big fan of ray-tracing at this time. It just seems to me that
>> it's equivalent to a sparse grid without some sort of optimization or
>> pruning method. But I have no experience other than reading technical
>> articles.

SH> I've not heard to output of ray traced impulses, it just seemed like an
SH> interesting method.

The software EASE uses ray-tracing methods to calculate impulse

I think the main advantage to using ray-tracing over a mirror image
source model is that if you have more complex geometries it is easier
to just model a few (which can still be a couple of thousand) rays and
follow their paths, doing a simple angle of incidence is angle of how
it goes away again (forgot the correct term for that), takes less
processing than calculating all the mirror image sources for the whole
geometry.
What it neglects completely is the fact that sound can "bend" around
objects and diffuse reflections.

I never looked at how to program these methods... EASE is however not
open source software (but very extensive in its options).
I suppose it may be useful to look at 3D video software which uses
raytracing for light beams, to get an idea of efficient source code.

sincerely,
Marije