Re: [linux-audio-user] head phones processor

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 10:52:06 EET

Hi David,

On Monday 07 February 2005 02:18, davidrclark@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> There are headphone amplifiers that *attempt* to produce binaural sound
> from normal stereo recordings. There may be software, but I haven't
> seen any. I ran some tests with my own software, but was very discouraged
> with the resulting sound. It's almost impossible to recreate a true
> binaural image from two-channel stereo because a lot of signal is
> duplicated in both channels. Binaural listening requires a very clean
> separation between the two channels and very precise phase differences.
> It seems far better to do it right from the beginning.

Okay, let me rephrase it: There seem to be some fans (and creators) of IR's on
this list. And at least you seem to be a fan of binaural. So maybe someone
could combine these two and produce a stereoset of IR's of the following
scenario:
 - A normal-to-good studio room with reasonable acoustics.
 - A pair of studio-speakers (which most of you seem to have) and a
binaural-recording-mic in the optimal stereo-listening position.
The resulting sound (after feeding this IR into jack_convolve, etc.) should
(from my experience and understanding) be as if you are listening the music
in the studio...

Thats what I wish, perhaps someone has the resources to create this.

Thanks in advance,

Arnold

--
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the
Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be