Re: [linux-audio-user] Sound servers conflict

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 23:35:34 EET

On Tuesday 08 February 2005 22:18, Hillel wrote:
> Thanks for the tips, I tried telling aRts to use NAS. I didn't know what
> you mean by control center, so I went through the menu KDE --> Sound -->
> Sound System and there I marked Enable the sound system, and Enable
> network sound.

Thats the right place but the wrong option...
On the second tab of this dialog you will find a drop-down-box asking you
which Audio Device to use. It should show Autodetect by default, change it to
"Network Audio System".
The option you selected enables aRts' own networking capabilities, which are,
uhm, how to put it... not perfect...

> Now aRts seems to run fine, and Amarok plays music. The problem is that
> if I run my QT program (that uses NAS), while Amarok is playing, then I
> hear no sound until I close Amarok. Only when Amarok closes I hear the
> sound that was probably queued while Amarok was playing. This is already
> fine for me on a practical level, although not a perfect soultion in
> general.

Thats because aRts autosuspends and releases /dev/dsp if not active.

> Regarding alsa dmix, I don't know the technology, but can it solve the
> principle problem of two programs using different sound servers?

for dmix see http://www.alsa-project.org/
It cannot fix the "different soundservers" problem but it fixes the problem of
a sounddevice which can be opened only from one application at a time... So
it fixes more than your problem as it also allows xmms, zinf, realone and
many others to access the soundcard while your favourite soundserver(s) is
running...

Arnold

--
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the
Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be