Re: [linux-audio-user] Sound servers conflict

From: Hillel <hillel.t@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 09 2005 - 00:46:49 EET

Arnold Krille wrote:

>On the second tab of this dialog you will find a drop-down-box asking you
>which Audio Device to use. It should show Autodetect by default, change it to
>"Network Audio System".
>

>>Now aRts seems to run fine, and Amarok plays music. The problem is that
>>if I run my QT program (that uses NAS), while Amarok is playing, then I
>>hear no sound until I close Amarok. Only when Amarok closes I hear the
>>sound that was probably queued while Amarok was playing. This is already
>>fine for me on a practical level, although not a perfect soultion in
>>general.
>>

>Thats because aRts autosuspends and releases /dev/dsp if not active.

Thanks for the help, you were on the spot. When I changed the audio
device to "Network Audio System" everything started working together!,
the caveat is that there is a noticeable audio latency (very noticeable
:-) while playing music with Amarok. I don't know if this is a bug in my
machine or normal latency in this configuration.

>>for dmix see http://www.alsa-project.org/
>>It cannot fix the "different soundservers" problem but it fixes the problem of
>>a sounddevice which can be opened only from one application at a time... So
>>it fixes more than your problem as it also allows xmms, zinf, realone and
>>many others to access the soundcard while your favourite soundserver(s) is
>>running...

This is what I was looking for. Looks like a much cleaner solution. I
will investigate some more on it :-).

Thanks for the insightful comments.