Re: [linux-audio-user] realtime-lsm in Andrew Morton's latest kernel patchset

From: Jack O'Quin <joq@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 07:39:42 EET

> On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 19:06 -0800, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > On 11 February 2005 at 20:35, "Jack O'Quin" <joq@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > Those of you who enjoy working with bleeding-edge kernels, please try
> > > Andrew's latest 2.6.11-rc3-mm2 patchset. I am hopeful that this may
> > > be included in the base kernel, soon. It would help for some of you
> > > to build this kernel, run it and report on any problems (or successes)
> > > with the realtime LSM.
> >
> > What version of ALSA does this use?

1.0.8

Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> writes:
> You really don't want to run the -mm kernel, unless you really like to
> test every bleeding edge feature the kernel developers came up with this
> week. IOW, unless you enjoy your machine locking up.
>
> This is important for political reasons, not technical. It means the
> realtime LSM is likely to end up in the mainline kernel. It doesn't
> really need more testing, everyone knows it works.

Mostly true. But, Chris Wright and I did make two small changes
lately. They work fine for me, but that's not the same as having 30
or 40 people try it on different systems. Since this version *may*
wind up going into 2.6.11 or 2.6.12, I really *would* like for more
people to test it.

The politics is important, too. It wouldn't hurt for us to
demonstrate to the kernel developers that a number of us really do
care about this feature. Lee and Paul and I have been hammering the
point home, but a few more voices would not hurt.

Lee is right about -mm kernels. Don't try it if you aren't
comfortable working with development kernels. Most likely, nothing
bad will happen to your system. But, there could be problems with
certain devices or configurations. Reporting them to the kernel
developers is a bit help. But, don't run it in any production
systems.

--
  joq