Re: [linux-audio-user] My First Linux Song

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 12:28:06 EET

R Parker wrote:

>--- Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
>wrote:
>

>>well, it's taken awhile, but i've managed to
>>complete my first song on
>>linux!
>>

>http://www.machinehasnoagenda.com/downloads/The_Girls_-_The_Sailor.ogg
>

>>(please be kind in any comments - i'm especially
>>open to tips on
>>mixing/mastering).
>>

>Congrats!
>
>After a very quick listen i'd suggest mixing the
>instrument volumes lower so they and the drums are
>more a part of eachother and then raise the main/lead
>vocals up so we don't have to struggle to hear the
>words.

point taken ...

>The vocal echos are creating a swampy effect which
>isn't always bad but in your song I'd probably keep
>those tracks mixed down in volume and use them to
>support a vocal that easier to hear.

yeah, i got a bit carried away ... which is my general tendency.

> If you cut down
>on the repeats and write parts that are halftime to
>the echo that would clear things up considerably. I'm
>probably not expressing my thoughts very well but
>maybe you can get some idea from them.

or at least cut back on the feedback ... actually, apart from a few
minor parts in the song, there's no need for the echo at all. i think
losing that, as well as pushing the instruments back and into each other
should clear things up a bunch.

>Nice song, glad you're having success with linux
>audio.

thanx heaps ... appreciate the comments :)

shayne