Re: [linux-audio-user] tuning

From: Christophe Vescovi <vescovi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 09:55:15 EET

Steve D a écrit :
> Shayne O'Connor wrote:
>
> Guitar frets are positioned to produce an equal-tempered chromatic
> scale, aren't they? (I play piano, not guitar.) So if one tunes a guitar
> using harmonics, couldn't one check the result by comparing the same
> note produced by fret?
>
> -sd
> (Just learning Lilypond. What a wonderful program!)

Well it should but it is not in reality. On most "electric" guitar you
have the availibility to change the lenght of the string at the bridge
(intonation tuning) in order to have the first harmonic of the string in
tune with the note fretted at the 12th fret. This is not true on
acoustic (folk) or classical guitar where the bridge is fixed. In fact
the position of the frets should depend on the diameter and the nature
of the strings in order to have a perfect tuning. I have seen a high-end
classical guitar where you could slightly change the position of each
fret for each string, in order to have a perfect tuning !!

Christophe