[linux-audio-user] Re: JACK timemachine W64 files

From: Jon B <30plxf602@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 16:29:33 EET

> Big problem there. Valid WAV files cannot be larger than 4 gig. Many
> programs won't open a WAV file larger than 2 Gig. 2 Gig is 90 minutes
> of stereo float data at 48kHz.
>
> W64 allows files very much larger (2^63 bytes).

Yes, I know. But since it's not openable in any of the programs I
want to use it in, and the recordings are much less than 90 minutes,
I'd like to just use WAV for now.

> Would it help if sndfile-play had a Jack back end?

If sndfile-play could output to JACK, that would be nice, but I
probably wouldn't use it unless I had to. In other words, if
alsaplayer or something like that could handle W64 files instead, that
would be better.

> Seems to work here with small files. Can you be more specific?

Didn't work for me. Maybe my original was somehow corrupted? I
showed the specific error below.

> > as rezound says "warning -- libaudiofile reports that
> > /home/omegatron/tm-2005-02-16T21:47:44.wav contains 96670161848201472
> > sample frames yet the file is most likely not large enough to contain
> > that many samples.
>
> Does libaudiofile even support the W64 file format?

It was opening a WAV converted by sndfile-convert, not a W64.

> Any editor which uses libsndfile should read that file quite happily.
> I use Sweep (http://sweep.sf.net) but Audacity should also work.

Ok.

> No, but I'l consider that a feature request.

:-) I was angry; sorry. It would be great if there was a hidden file
that you could set defaults in for all the command-line switches, file
name format (time and date) and whatever.

> You could lobby the rezound developers to add W64 support, its much better
> if you're working with long, or multichannel files.

I'm going to do that.

> You might also change the file extension you use for W64 files.
> Its far less confusing if you used ".w64" for these files
> instead if ".wav".

This is the way it currently works for me.

> The easiest way for this to happen is to replace the libaudiofile
> support in rezound with libsndfile support. It may even be possible
> to support both.

I'm going to ask them.