Re: [linux-audio-user] Maximum saturation without clipping

From: R Parker <rtp405@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 08:55:12 EET

> If anyone can emulate the wav in that image and have
> it
> play back without clipping then however they managed
> do that (without outboard equipment) then I'd really
> appreciate the howto. The rub is it can be done on a
> Mac.

It's pretty easy to accomplish. Check Quiktoots for my
article on Loudness. If it's not clear enough to be
helpful I'll respond to questions. The article is in
part a response or elaboration on Rowan's argument
against smashing a limiter to achieve loudness. I try
to explain how to achieve loudness without squaring
off waves. I provide a couple examples for why and
when maximum loudness are exactly the right solution.

ron