[linux-audio-user] Enabling joystick under alsa

From: Barton Bosch <bartonbosch@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 22:45:12 EET

I'm trying to configure a joystick so I can use it as an Mplayer
transport control.

The first complication is that the actual machine that I need to use
it on has no gameport for its onboard soundcard. Under the
assumption that I can add an adapter card with a gameport (an
inexpensive pci soundcard or gameport adapter card) I proceeded to
test a previously untested second hand joystick for functionality
and linux compatibility on a secondary machine that does have a
gameport.

The primary box (no gameport) runs FC2, a 2.6 kernel with ALSA. The
secondary box runs RH 9 with alsa added on through Planet CCRMA, the
soundcard is a yamaha (ymf701 I think) which uses the snd-ymfpci
module. The joystick is a Gravis Blackhawk. Having failed to get
the input device detected (jstest /dev/js0) under linux I resorted
to windoze and managed to test and calibrate it as a Gravis Analog
Pro device, so I am fairly sure that it's the analog flavor of
Blackhawk.

In reading some ALSA docs I found that the gameport needs to be
enabled at the alsa soundcard module's compile time but I have no
idea how to check whether it is enabled in the module. Beyond that
I'm not sure which modules need to be loaded. My impression is that
joydev and maybe analog are the relevant modules but I'd appreciate
any tips or further info.

Thanks,

Barton