Re: [linux-audio-user] Searching for music composition tools

From: Tapio Kelloniemi <persistent.spam@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 11:35:15 EET

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 10:52:24AM -0800, Noah Roberts wrote:
> Mario Lang said:

I reply to two messages at once, since I lost the original one, sorry.

> > james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net writes:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> As a blind linux audio user, you're in a minority in a minority in a
> >> minority.
> >
> > You'd be supprised how "large" that minority actually is :-).
> >
> >> I don't think anyone has ever looked into this side of things,
> >
> > I've raised a thread about it on LAD about a year ago or so.

Did anything concrete happen?

> >> or if they have they haven't documented it.
> >
> > That is true, because there isn't much to document at the moment. Its
> > much more important to make developers of tools aware of the specific
> > problems, since the majority of linux audio apps currently is very
> > inaccessible per design. Properly used OSC helps a lot there (see SC
> > and Om).

Program design is the key point, but most developers probably prefer
nice look over accessibility. Folks who write ncurses interfaces are
also needed. Developers however can make writing additional interfaces
significantly easier by modularising their applications.

> What are some websites developers could look at for help in designing
> their programs to be more accessable?

I'm not aware of such sites. I'm writing some information on my own
site about blind people's special devices (like braille
displays). Information about good website design and application
design wouldn't probably be that bad idea. The methods which make it
possible
to (possibly later) change applications to be accessible are commonly
so simple that many developers don't realise them. Of course there are
nifty
details (like where the treminal cursor should be located) which need special
attention. Programs which mess up algorithms and GUI
operations cannot be extended.

BTW, I think this discussion should move to LAD?

--
Tapio