Re: [linux-audio-user] simulating guitar distos at linux

From: Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 17:15:01 EET

tim hall wrote:

>Last Saturday 26 February 2005 20:37, Jan Depner was like:
>

>>On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 12:15, MarC wrote:
>>

>>>I already tried V-amp and I didn't like it. I prefer the Zoom GFX8 (a
>>>lot of people will think that I am crazy but yes... I don't like the
>>>distos of V-amp, they are too "crunchy" for me). However maybe I didn't
>>>play enough with it to get a good sound...
>>>
>>>Does V-amp Pro improve it significantly?
>>>

>> It's basically the same box. It just adds S/PDIF and a few other
>>routing options. You have to watch the gain and amp simulation settings
>>on the V-Amp to get a good distortion out of it. I don't like a lot of
>>crunch either.
>>

>I never got on with the V-amp either. I like OTT effects, but not necessarily
>at the amp/room simulation end of the spectrum. I found it very difficult to
>control and even the best clean crunch lacked power and presence. You need to
>overdrive real valves, it's the only way.

Not to jump on the bandwagon but....What he said! <with the valves bit>

:) TIm, I know your definately not in the USA...If I call 'em "valves"
here, they look at me odd! "Like you mean valves in the head of your
engine????"

Being an owner of a Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ and now a Music Man 112 <EL34
back end> which I'll likely run with my old Seymour Duncan Tube Pre amp
(because the MM 112 has a solid state front end) I'm kinda addicted to
"valves" meself!

The only gitar app I have heard that gives some control is Revalver in
Sonar but it is also "All bark and no bite" in terms of dynamics and any
of the "airyness" dimensional sound quality that comes from a good tube
setup. To be fair, the LADPSA's mentoned here I have not played with too
much...

Still don't like that warm beer though! 8~) Room temperature they
say... :)