Re: [linux-audio-user] Behringer BCA 2000 - has anyone tried it ?

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 23:10:35 EET

Hallo,
Mario Lang hat gesagt: // Mario Lang wrote:

> Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden> writes:
> > I *heard* that the Behringer is "broken" in this regard in that it
> > just stops to send data when one end is reached (that is, it stays at
> > 0 or 127 without wrapping around at all). I'd be glad to hear if this
> > is true or not,
>
> Yes, it is, and I consider this behaviour the only sensible.
> For me, the other dials (those that wrap) are broken, and
> they are a serious accessibility hassle.

Of course I do not agree with you here. <grin>

Why have an endless knob at all if it has ends and thus is not an
endless knob? You could just as well use the standard knobs which
stop physically at both ends or use a slider.

The main advantage of an endless controller is to send endless data.
You just need to keep track of how many revolutions you already did,
which is very simple to do in SuperCollider or Pd, and then you are
finally free from the terrible and unmusical restriction to value
ranges from 0-127.

If you want a controller which only can go from 0-127 just use
non-endless controllers, but if I buy a controller hoping to provide
infinite values and it just does not send these, then I consider this
device "broken".

Non-broken devices include the Doepfer Pocket Dial and the Contour
Jog/Shuttle wheels. I own the Contour. It's not midi, but a USB-HID
device and its wheel needs three rounds to go from 0 to 255. At the
next round it starts again at 0. This wheel is intended to move a
cursor inside a video or audio editor frame- or sample-wise. With the
Behringer I could just move to sample 127 and that's it: no further
movement possible. This is a really serious accessibility hassle.

Ciao

             _ __latest track: fqdn _ http://footils.org/cms/show/38