Re: [linux-audio-user] Behringer BCA 2000 - has anyone tried it ?

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 01:38:37 EET

Hallo,
Mario Lang hat gesagt: // Mario Lang wrote:

> I've demonstrated already that it is quite simple to emulate
> endless rotaries in software.

Yes, I've seen this and it indeed is a possibility for SuperCollider
or Pd (which I use) to make the Behringer work for ranges bigger than
0-127.

However thinking about your solution a bit more, it occured to me,
that it basically transforms the knobs to wrap-around knobs, carrying
the same accessibility problem you pointed out before. Aren't you
admitting by this, that wrap-around would be good to have?

That's actually all I would have expected Behringer to do in hardware
(similar to the Doepfer devices): provide a wrapping mode as an option
to customers. (Maybe they have this in their Windows software, who
knows.)

> However, the wrapping problem is not that easy to overcome. Since I
> do not have visual feedback, I can not look at the rotaries current
> value and predict when I need to stop to turn the knob to prevent
> wrapping. The day that infinite wrapping dials were introduced in
> modern synths was the day accessibility died finally.

I remember, that one or two years ago Julian Claasen brought up a
similar question either here or when I met him in a person asking
about some hardware synth - I forgot which - if it has wrap-around
dials, which would make it practically useless to him. This indeed is
a problem, which turned up when hardware synths were facing the
problem of having enough memory to store more than like 127 presets or
to make finer adjustments than this range allows. Just limiting the
possible settings to small numbers isn't really an option nowadays,
but doing something like a click when the wrap-around point is reached
or similar accessibility methods would not only help visually impaired
users.

Ciao

             _ __latest track: fqdn _ http://footils.org/cms/show/38