Re: [linux-audio-user] [music] Norma 2.5

From: Robert Jonsson <rj@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 19:20:36 EET

Hi,

söndagen den 27 februari 2005 09.18 skrev Mark Constable:
> Robert Jonsson wrote:
> > More music!
>
> Excellent, go Robert!

Thanks!

> > This is actually a tune I have recorded and improved several times but I
> > have never posted it here.
> > It's basically a mellow pop tune with a very central main vocal and
> > acoustic guitar figures.
>
> Very nice. My FWIW comments: the bass is nicely compressed
> and sustained but the kick is a bit low so they don't quite
> reinforce each other.

Yes, that might be true, though previously the kick was way to audible so I
lowered it, perhaps I lowered it too much.

> I know some people like "dynamics" but
> I prefer a radio-like mix with everything "in yer face" so,
> ideally, I'd prefer some sidechain limiting of the vocals,
> and solo, so the surrounding music was up a bit more. Perhaps
> a bit more stereo split of the acoustic guitar too.

Ok, that might be, I'll see if I can play with it a bit :)
Also, I don't really know how to operate a sidechain. Possibly MusE does not
allow that yet, you need an additional audiotrack, right?

> > Direct link to the ogg:
> > http://spamatica.se/musicsite/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?cid=1&lid=11
> > (No streaming yet, sorry)
>
> That is not quite a direct link... are you using the redirect
> to do some logging or something ?

Yeah, something like that, I changed the site to an off the shelf package:
www.xoops.org, very nice, but to take advantage of the features (access count
and such) I guess I need to use the builtin functions for that. Possibly the
code can be hacked to work better. I'll look into it someday.

> I pasted the direct URL to the Rad IO page and it streams
> nicely for me. Is this a problem for you that anyone using
> the Rad IO streaming link probably does not get logged ?
>
> The version number is a but awkward... perhaps there
> could be a "convention" that there be a song_latest.ogg
> soft link (or copy) to the latest verion ? This way other
> links around the planet pointing to a particular song
> will automatically always pull in the latest version?

Yes, I'll think about adding some such.

> Also, FWIW, in spamatica_-_undecided.ogg during the racey
> chorus part, that splash symbol sounds like banging on the
> side of a tin shed... there is no "ting" to it at all, like
> a lo bit rate soundfont instrument or something. I think
> it should be the cup of a ride cymbal.

It's actually a china crash, I wanted something trashy :) so the lack of
"ting" was intentional, I might have overdone it slightly though ;).

> > On a related note. There's been several discussions here about creating a
> > separate list for musical announcements. The concensus so far seems to be
> > to keep it here. Though I can understand the reasoning I can also see the
> > limitations.
>
> There needs to be two parts... an ongoing "working group"
> discussion or comments about a piece and then some kind of
> summary or permenent changelog for the same piece. The
> first suits a mailing-list and the 2nd a Wiki/web-page. A
> forum could kind of work for both, I guess, but I find them
> too cumbersome signing up for yet another account, logging
> in, and the heavy HTML overload per message... and those
> inevitable useless one-liner comments.
>
> No one is complaining about song postings/discussion here
> yet anyway... perhaps when the quantity picks up to the
> point where the LAU help-line is getting drowned then it'll
> be natural to move on to elsewhere.

Right. My fear is that people will silently leave because of the added traffic
though. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Robert

--