Re: [linux-audio-user] Midi Cards

From: Mark Constable <markc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 08:46:07 EET

John Check wrote:
>>>I believe the emu10k1's hardware synth is limited to 128MB. It would be
>>>very useful if someone could trim that 141MB down to 128.

# asfxload fluid.sf2
sfxload: no memory left

But it mostly seems to work but I've never bothered to
hunt down which instruments are not loaded.

>>I'd really like to rearrange that soundfont and get rid of
>>(to me) some crap... and perhaps try to improve some of the
>>sounds with better samples... but every time I have tried
>>to use smurf over the years it just dies on me.
>
> Smurf is working here. Let's see if we can get a consensus on "crap",
> or a least see which way the wind is blowing.

Start at 128 and work back up is what I would suggest.
The only ones I could imagine ever using, perhaps, are

.Reverse Cymbal
.Synth Drum
.Kalimba
.FX 4 (atmosphere)

but only if they were worthwhile decent samples to start
with and that is unlikely.

097 FX 1 (rain) 105 Sitar
098 FX 2 (soundtrack) 106 Banjo
099 FX 3 (crystal) 107 Shamisen
100 FX 4 (atmosphere) 108 Koto
101 FX 5 (brightness) 109 Kalimba
102 FX 6 (goblins) 110 Bagpipe
103 FX 7 (echoes) 111 Fiddle
104 FX 8 (sci-fi) 112 Shanai

   PERCUSSIVE SOUND EFFECTS
113 Tinkle Bell 121 Guitar Fret Noise
114 Agogo 122 Breath Noise
115 Steel Drums 123 Seashore
116 Woodblock 124 Bird Tweet
117 Taiko Drum 125 Telephone Ring
118 Melodic Tom 126 Helicopter
119 Synth Drum 127 Applause
120 Reverse Cymbal 128 Gunshot

Another issue is the licensing of the samples and the
soundfont as a whole but just getting a <128Mb file would
be a great start.

>>Are there any other tools, especially CLI ones, that could
>>pull apart a sf2 soundfont and put it back together ?

Anyone ?

--markc