[linux-audio-user] DVD-Audio Tools project

From: Dave Chapman <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 11:20:13 EET

Hi,

I've recently started the process of attempting to document the
DVD-Audio standard and to write some useful free software tools for
authoring and playback of DVD-Audio disks.

For both technical (i.e. it's hard) and legal (i.e. it's illegal in many
countries), I'm not attempting to deal with either the copy prevention
technologies or Meridian Lossless Packing, so my project will never be
able to play back commercial DVDs.

The aim is to write an authoring application capablle of creating
DVD-Audio disks compliant with hardware DVD-Audio players, and also to
write an open source DVD-Audio player that supports the playback of
unencrypted DVD-Audio disks with uncompressed LPCM audio tracks.

Currently, the project is in the very early stages - I'm in the progress
of adding my notes to the project website, and have started to write
some software. The home page is here:

http;//dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/

There is a dvd-audio-devel mailing list that all are welcome to join.

Regards,

Dave.