Re: [linux-audio-user] Any interest in DVD-Audio?

From: Dave Chapman <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 20:26:12 EET

Tim Orford wrote:
> hi Dave
>
> by coincidence, an unencrypted dvda just landed on my hard drive. Do
> i assume correctly that there are no aob demuxers available? Mplayer
> seems to have some support, but on 1.0pre6 it detects this file as
> stereo 96k with a wordlength of 0bits. I havnt tried cvs.

I have more or less nailed the format of an AOB - it is similar enough
to a VOB for mplayer to recognise it (both are MPEG Program Streams with
LPCM audio stored as a private stream). But an LPCM private stream in
an AOB file is not the same as the one in a VOB - the LPCM headers are
different.

AFAIK, there are no AOB demuxers available at the moment, but I'm
planning to write one. Keep an eye on my project at
http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net I've already partially document the
contents of the AUDIO_TS directory.

>>you are left with a standard which allows 18 combinations of samplerate
>>and sample wordsize for 2-channel stereo audio (including 16-bit/44.1KHz
>>RedBook, and going all the way up to 24-bit/192KHz), plus a range of
>>6-channel uncompressed surround sound formats.
>

> so just out of interest, are current players too useless to play wav files,
> or are you looking for some other additional feature of the aob format?

Yes, it's not possible to "author" a DVD containing WAV files. But that
I mean control the order the WAVs are played back in, decide if there
should or should not be gaps between tracks, offer alternative playlists
for the same content etc etc.

Dave.