Re: [linux-audio-user] Midi Cards

From: John Check <j4strngs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 21:56:48 EET

On Thursday 03 March 2005 01:46 am, Mark Constable wrote:

> # asfxload fluid.sf2
> sfxload: no memory left
>
> But it mostly seems to work but I've never bothered to
> hunt down which instruments are not loaded.
>
> >>I'd really like to rearrange that soundfont and get rid of
> >>(to me) some crap... and perhaps try to improve some of the
> >>sounds with better samples... but every time I have tried
> >>to use smurf over the years it just dies on me.
> >
> > Smurf is working here. Let's see if we can get a consensus on "crap",
> > or a least see which way the wind is blowing.
>
> Start at 128 and work back up is what I would suggest.
> The only ones I could imagine ever using, perhaps, are
>
> .Reverse Cymbal
> .Synth Drum
> .Kalimba
> .FX 4 (atmosphere)
>
> but only if they were worthwhile decent samples to start
> with and that is unlikely.
>
> 097 FX 1 (rain) 105 Sitar
> 098 FX 2 (soundtrack) 106 Banjo
> 099 FX 3 (crystal) 107 Shamisen
> 100 FX 4 (atmosphere) 108 Koto
> 101 FX 5 (brightness) 109 Kalimba
> 102 FX 6 (goblins) 110 Bagpipe
> 103 FX 7 (echoes) 111 Fiddle
> 104 FX 8 (sci-fi) 112 Shanai
>
> PERCUSSIVE SOUND EFFECTS
> 113 Tinkle Bell 121 Guitar Fret Noise
> 114 Agogo 122 Breath Noise
> 115 Steel Drums 123 Seashore
> 116 Woodblock 124 Bird Tweet
> 117 Taiko Drum 125 Telephone Ring
> 118 Melodic Tom 126 Helicopter
> 119 Synth Drum 127 Applause
> 120 Reverse Cymbal 128 Gunshot

So these are "crap" or not? Easiest solution is just whack it into to parts
"melodic" and "other", but trimming 19MB worth of samples may be really easy.

> Another issue is the licensing of the samples and the

That's _the_ issue as far as doing anything redistributable..

According to the comment field:
DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE ANY OF THESE SAMPLES.

I don't see an email address but I'll see if I can get a hold of the author
for clarification. There's no telling where he got 'em, it may be CYA.
The copyright holder for the soundfont appears to be an individual, which
raises some questions as far as having the resources WRT acquiring the raw
samples in the first place.

Making patch sets and variations from different sources is expected. Exactly
what would constitute fair use of the raw samples would depend on sample
length.. Loops of a few cycles aren't likely to be issues. Full bar rhythm
loops OTOH....

> soundfont as a whole but just getting a <128Mb file would
> be a great start.

Ignoring bit/sample rates, bigger soundfont size doesn't count for much. It
takes less time/skill to produce.