Re: [linux-audio-user]Skype and internet jamming [was Howto record PCM (from realplayer)?]

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 03:54:23 EET

Mark Constable wrote:

> Ken Dawson wrote:

>> It's almost as if there must be some way of interposing an ALSA-aware
>> (and re-directable) loopback device for /dev/dsp. I can almost taste
>> it, it's so close. But my poor brain sizzles before I get the taste
>> of the solution. (or something).
>

> Another similar issue is correctly capturing both the
> incoming and outgoing streams of skype on the same machine.

just taking this a bit further - has anyone experimented with
live-jamming over skype?

i've done a couple of tests, but only one-way so far (i've got my mate's
bass at the moment, so we haven't tried live jamming). i'm pretty sure,
though, that latency would be the killer - i do some stuff with the
local community radio station, and me and my mate found a pretty solid
hardware codec that wasn't being used - it plugged into any phone line
and would send whatever you put into it (there were two line inputs and
two microphone inputs) through the phone lines to the decoder at the
station.

when we did live broadcasts from a local club, though, i would monitor
from the club side what was being fed back from the station's broadcast
(just to make sure it didn't drop out) - but with the headphones on,
listening to the band up on stage being broadcast back out to me, there
was at least a half-beat delay (mind you, i couldn't take the headphones
off, because this delay turned what was an average reggae band onstage
into a dubbed-out head-freak).

even still, perhaps in an electronic music environment, a delay like
this would be manageable via quantization or something?

anyway, just because of the audio quality of skype, and the ability to
access all areas of the globe, i thought this would be an interesting
area worthy of research and experimentation.

any thoughts?

shayne