Re: [linux-audio-user] Synthesis Tools: What to use and how to use it?

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 09:31:02 EET

On Mon, 2005-07-03 at 10:26 -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> [re: learning Pd]
>
> >After you read the html, go through the documentation patches once.
> >They are numbered for a reason: follow that order, and don't skip the
> >"2.control.examples" part just because you want to do audio stuff
> >immediatly. These examples are very important, too, to get the bigger
> >picture. All Pd patches can be edited, changed, copied etc. Doing
> >this is *the* way to learn Pd.
> >

> In all things Pd, Frank is my guru, but I'm a devotee of the "plunge &
> sink" school of using computers for making music: Dive into what looks
> interesting, work there for a while, let things branch naturally, follow
> them to other interesting places in the system. I think Pd lends itself
> equally to rational and irrational approaches to learning and using its
> system.
>
> Best,
>
> dp

The nice thing about learning Pd is that even if you dislike it as a
synth, it's useful to know for a ton of other things (routing MIDI or
sending OSC, building control panels, prototyping, etc. etc).

So, learning it isn't a waste of time, even if you don't end up using it
as your synth of choice.

++pd;

-DR-