Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Net jamming

From: Wolfgang Woehl <tito@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 17:00:52 EET

JP, Shayne, count me in, absolutely. Not sure if we can save the world
by jamming over the net -- Being fascinated and all to chat with
someone on the other side of the planet (yes, telephones still baffle
me) I still think face to face is best. But I appreciate what you
write, JP, how free and cheap tools can help in making things happen,
and how to shake those hips as well.

As for the design of such a beast thinking out loud me says: If all
chunks of audio/loops were accompanied by a timestamp the central
server/jam room could broadcast this to all clients which could then
happily adjust the incoming audio. So we would all hear the same thing,
sooner or later. It's not within the range of acceptable realtime but
it doesn't matter because we don't sit next to each other.

Key problem is likely to be how to make sure your time matches my time.
System times drift and tend to be all over the place. Maybe NTP can
help here.

Another, minor, factor might be bandwidth of the clients, so there
should be a mechanism to buffer incoming audio. Then even isdn-people
-- like me 2 weeks ago -- could jam in.

JP, please write and tell us about your plans. btw, reading Matthias
Grob's story of how they built the Echoplex was great.

my 2 dBs, be good.
Wolfgang