Re: [linux-audio-user] sf2 soundfont spec license

From: John Check <j4strngs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 01:21:34 EET

On Thursday 10 March 2005 04:51 pm, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 15:50 -0500, John Check wrote:
> > > One could also make the interpretation that circulating it within the
> > > development community constitutes "internal".
> > > However, Mark's original email didn't supply sufficient background
> > > WRT to the standards origin. Is there sufficient legal structure behind
> > > it? IOW is it from a corporate structure with resources to make
> > > trouble?
> >
> > In the tradition of replying to my own questions:
> >
> > whois soundfont.comRegistrant:
> > CREATIVE LABS, INC. (SOUNDFONT-DOM)
> > 1901 MCCARTHY BLVD
> > MILPITAS, CA 95035-7427
> > US
> >
> > Domain Name: SOUNDFONT.COM
> >
> > Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
> > Marketing, Internet (YTEYTUZMFI)
> > domainregadmin@email-addr-hidden
> > Creative Labs, Inc.
> > 1901 McCarthy Blvd
> > Milpitas, CA 95035-7427
> > US
> > 408-428-6600
> >
> > DOH!
>
> I don't think this is a problem. Creative has never come after anyone
> for making and distributing their own soundfonts. They seem to have
> taken a hands-off attitude towards open source.

Right, but it still represents a potential stumbling block in the future WRT
redistributing their rendition of the spec..
I'm thinking back to TrollTech and QT.. Anyway, the issue at hand isn't
SoundFonts or the spec but circulating the original document.
The "Doh!" was regarding the 2 seconds it took for me to answer my own
question.