Re: [linux-audio-user] stupid, basic alsa question

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 16:38:57 EET

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Tapio Kelloniemi wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 12:15:49PM +0100, Atte André Jensen wrote:
>> I didn't really learn anything new, except it answered my initial
>> question "can multiple alsa clients at the same time" with the answer "No".
> This is wrong, since applications which use alsa library (libasound)
> can use the same card at the same time if their output device has been
> set to dmix:... Programs which use alsa's kernel api (like sox) or which

Yes, and actually it's not even limited to applications supporting
libasound [1], but also plain OSS apps if you use aoss (alsa-oss package)
wrapper. See for example the following links:

    http://www.thepenguin.org.uk/alsa/
    http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=DmixPlugin (see sections 4-5)

[1] ALSA apps: http://alsa-project.org/applications.php
     .. and lots more not yet mentioned on the list.

--
  http://www.eca.cx
  Audio software for Linux!