Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA 1.0.9-rc1 warning!

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 23:29:41 EET

On Thu, 17 Mar, 2005 at 01:18PM -0500, Lee Revell spake thus:
> On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 17:50 +0000, james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Mar, 2005 at 02:14PM -0500, Lee Revell spake thus:
> > > ALSA 1.0.9-rc1 has a bug that is fatal for SBLive! users. Your system
> > > will hang as soon as you play a sound. The Audigy is unaffected.
> > >
> > > emu10k1 users, please wait for -rc2, or make sure to apply the fix I
> > > posted to alsa-devel yesterday.
> >
> > Hmm. Something just occured to me. I have alsa in my kernel now,
> > since I upgraded to 2.6.11.
> >
> > What's my situation for updates? Am I buggered? Or is there a
> > userspace section that can be upgraded without a new kernel or kernel
> > patch?
>
> You can just install new ALSA modules over the ones that come with your
> kernel.
>
> If ALSA is not built as modules but statically compiled into the kernel
> then yes you are screwed. But all distros should be shipping ALSA as
> modules these days.

Oh, that's not trouble. I don't know why I didn't think of that -
it's not like I've even used a stock or distro provided kernel for
years, and that's how I install nvidia drivers.

Please excuse me. I should have engaged my brain instead of my
keyboard.

James

> Lee

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)