Re: [linux-audio-user] Filling in some holes in my largely limited linux and audio knowledge

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 13:02:18 EET

Last Saturday 19 March 2005 00:05, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki was like:
> For my own work, I don't know how to manage this. The nature of the way
> I work produces a lot of output that is largely snapshots of an ongoing,
> evolutionary process. That is, for much of it there is no finished work.
> I just can't see submitting every single, almost daily, .ogg file I
> create to a copyright authority.

You wouldn't need to. You own the copyright in those recordings anyway.
Posting a representative version of each piece to yourself may help to prove
that you had created the piece at a certain time if you needed to do so. The
fact that you could probably point to various time stamped backups and email
notices that you may have produced would further strengthen the case.

I've just discovered a cover of one of my band's songs on a commercial-ish
production with no attempt at correct attribution. It's also apparently
dreadful, why does that always seem to be the way? We shall be getting the
letterheads out. Seeing as we released the song on a tape sixteen years ago,
we shouldn't have too much problem with proof. I doubt, of course, that it
will come to that. The artist in question probably simply needs to be
informed that it is copyright material and that they have a legal obligation
to correctly credit the author of the piece. In the kind of realms we move in
(i.e. outside the music biz) legal action would be pointless. We will
probably advise them not to meddle in the affairs of bards, for they are
slyly subtle and skilled at satire. ;-) They'll be begging us for mercy after
all that alliteration!

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk