Re: [linux-audio-user] alsa hdsp and oss emulation

From: Janina Sajka <janina@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 04:07:15 EET

Hi, Thomas:

thomas charbonnel writes:
> Janina Sajka wrote :
>
> > Well, unfortunately I'm not seeing a change yet on my Opteron box using
> > the PCI interface card.
> >
> > Firmware loading still requiring hdsploader, even thgouh hotplug is
> > enabled.
> >

> Hi Janina,
>
> This can happen if you compiled the driver in kernel and hotplug (which
> is userspace) is not available when the card is initialized. I'm working
> on a more robust solution to this problem at the moment.

I take this statement back. I've recompiled alsa-driver-1.0.9RC1 and can
now restart alsa using using the old CCRMA script in /etc/init.d and it
DOES get the hdsp firmware loaded, despite the error. Very nice.

#service alsasound restart
Shutting down sound driver [ OK ]
Starting sound driver snd-hdsp [ OK ]
Starting sound driver snd-hdsp [ OK ]
Starting sequencer [ OK ]
Starting sequencer driver snd-seq-midi [ OK ]
Restoring sound driver settings /usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1272: No
soundcards found...
                                                           [FAILED]

Running hdspmixer resets levels OK.

> > Also, I'm unable to dmix, or alsamixer.
> >

> Dmix should work, please report this to alsa-devel.

OK. I think my hesitancy is about whether I have an appropriate
.asoundrc. So, let me ask more generically. A command like:

aplay -D dmix:SLAVE=\"hw:0,0\",RATE=44100 [file.wav]

should work, yes?

> Alsamixer can't be used with the card yet. I have a plan to make this
> possible, but it's not ready yet. In the meantime you can use amixer in
> a command-line only environment.

Thank you. I can certainly work with amixer. I appreciate the
consideration, too.

--
Janina Sajka				Phone: +1.202.494.7040
janina@email-addr-hidden		http://a11y.org