[linux-audio-user] Vinyl records and tape cassettes

From: Bengt Gördén <bengan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 09:27:37 EET

Hi,

I've got a bunch of old vinyl (and even those before these) records
and some old tape cassette that I would like to record and put on CD
or in a non destructive format like FLAC. I've scanned (not thoroughly
I must admit) the net to see if there is a tool for this. I think that
it would be possible to use ardour, ecasound, audacity or similar. I
found a tool that is called PhonoRipper:

http://www.8ung.at/klappnase/phonoripper/phonoripper.html

The author says that it isn't good with ALSA so I rather prefer
something else. But I'll give it a try anyway.

If anyone has an suggestion how to use ardour, ecasound, audacity or
similar I would appreciate that.

I'm not sure how to do the converting. Could this be a way?

sample the vinyl/tape
spilt into different tracks
try to remove noise and such
maybe normalize?