Re: [linux-audio-user] Problems with mppenc

From: Christian Henz <christian.henz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 06:05:21 EET

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:39:20 -0500, Bradley S. Campbell
<bsc3j@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I recently downloaded the mpegplus encoder and decoder from
> musepack.net. The decoder works fine, but every time I attempt to use
> the encoder, I get an "Illegal Operation" output from the console.
> Anyone have any idea what may be going on here?

If I'm not mistaken this error occurs if there are instructions in a
binary that the processor can't understand - for example SSE2
instructions on older Athlons [been there ;-)].

Are you using binaries? Try to compile it yourself, and if you already
did, try to see if you can disable these processor-specific
optimizations. You may be out of luck though if they
wrote the optimizations in assembly and provide no portable fallback.

cheers,
Christian