[linux-audio-user] sysex questions

From: Sebastian Stark <seb-lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 27 2005 - 00:09:29 EET

Hi, I'm having some silly questions, I'm new to the midi world:

I just bought a Boss GT-8 guitar effects processor and I know it supports
downloading patches to your computer. I understand this works over midi by
doing a sysex dump. What I don't understand is: How does the program I use
"know" what kind of data I download? A patch? The system configuration?
Everything? I know it does not need to be able to interpret the contents of
those things but I'm not quite sure how this stuff works at all.

And the other way round: Could I do any harm to my GT-8 (or another midi
device) by uploading wrong data to it? Or will it just give me an error
message and reject the upload?

What programs can I use under linux? I know sysexxer, but I would rather like
to use a command line tool.

As I said, silly questions