Re: [linux-audio-user] Jamin compressor vs LADSPA SC

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 13:18:06 EEST

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 06:05:14 -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 17:38, Steve Harris wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 03:07:57PM -0800, Iain Duncan wrote:
> > > Thanks for the reply Jan. I'm a bit confused though, on the Jamin site I
> > > believe you mention that you will be releasing API details soon. Does
> > > that mean an API is in the works but not made yet?
> > >
> > > I can understand why it wouldn't be a top priority, but I would think a
> > > way to hook Jamin up to generic hardware control systems ( midi boxes,
> > > etc ) would be quite a useful addition. An API giving access to the
> > > various input controls and output display would make such an extension
> > > pretty easy.
> >
> > The design should make it pretty easy to add OSC control of all the
> > paramaters, but its not done yet. I think its on the TODO list. I,
> > personally, am not wildly enthusaistic about adding native MIDI control to
> > jamin, but a MIDI->OSC bridge that controls it is OK.
>
> Steve, if you'll give me some pointers on how to add OSC control for
> a parameter I can take a shot at implementing it. I've got a pretty
> good handle on how to control all of the parameters I'm just not that
> familiar with OSC. I also don't think we should add MIDI control. If
> we have OSC for all the parameters it can be done externally.

Well, it's slightly tricky, we need to either poll the OSC librarys for
incoming packets in the GTK idle thread or let it use its own thread and
signal the JAMin control stuff, but I cant remeber if that cares what
thread it was called from or not.

I'l try to find time to add control for one parameter over OSC, that
should make it obvious how to do the others, but it will be after the next
point release goes out I think.

> > The compressors are just SC4's, so if that all you need you could use
> > something like AMS + meterbridge (or jack-rack if you dont need the
> > crossover) and use MIDI to control that. AMS makes it easy to bind MIDI
> > CC's to LADSPA controls.
>
> You'd have to band-limit prior to compressing to get the same effect
> wouldn't you?

Something like that. Typically crossovers are paired low- and high-pass
filters I think.

- Steve