[linux-audio-user] SB Live! 24-Bit & CA0106

From: Edward Deards <edward.deards@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 06:46:41 EEST

Hi all,

I'm new to the list, so be gentle.

Trying to get a Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-Bit functioning for a
friend many many thousands of miles away. I found one moderately
useful thread archive from this list, and it seems he who wrote the
CA0106 ALSA driver module is on here.

After a lot of stuffing about I discovered that the ca0106 was needed,
not the emu10k1, much to my irritation. Eventually I upgraded the
lad's kernel from 2.6.3 to 2.6.11 but just downloading the source and
compiling it up. In addition I replaced all the ALSA user-space stuff
with version 1.0.6 packages using assorted redhat rpms, as Mandrake
appears as old as the hills re ALSA.

Now I've got the card recognised... and things seem to believe they
are playing fine. However there is no sound. The little gnomes in the
back of my head shouted "it's the volume, it's the volume.. unmute
something". However all volumes I can affect in alsamixer are now set
to maximum. The remaining controls are all read only.

What concerns me is that notable controls are missing, such as Master
Volume and PCM Out. If I saw either of those I'd feel happier. I could
attach the /etc/alsa.state file if it would assist anyone in seeing
the probably obvious.

Does anyone have an idea? Finally, if this is indeed completely the
wrong place to post this, tell me so and I shall flee. I have however
spent a long while rtfming the available sources, to little avail
beyond getting the card noticed.

Cheers,

Edward