Re: [linux-audio-user] what to do about firewire HDDs

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 31 2005 - 19:43:06 EEST

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 08:17:35AM -0800, R Parker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to archive client data and would very much like
> to work directly from the client HD. I've tried USB
> and neither version of the protocol is fast enough.

I'd be supprised if the protocol was the bottleneck, but my experience
with USB2 and firewire 400 connections on disks (the same diskpack) was
that firewire was a lot faster than USB on linux for disks.

I used the firewire 800 connection on a mac, but not the USB, so I cant
compare them.

16 ardour tracks should be on the order of 22 Mbits per second, which is
nothing compared to the theoretical bandwidth of USB2 or firewire 400, so
I suspect the problem is somewhere else.

FWIW with the laptop I was using (dunno what firewire controller it had)
and the diskpack (a lacie) I was getting a lot more than 22 Mbit/s.

- Steve