Re: Commercial VS NonCommercial Creative Commons [WAS: Re: [linux-audio-user] more odd music]

From: Randy Kramer <rhkramer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 15:58:40 EEST

On Monday 04 April 2005 01:25 am, ish@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> Well I agree what Wolfgang has to say about the Digital public domain ..
> and one should he happy(?) when they find out that they are being copied .
> every one has copied charlie parker to chuck berry and if copy rights
> were in place all the white folks would be paying through their nose to the
> black folks. All the the modern music (leaving out some bits of
> electronica) have their ideas, structures, progressions etc derived from
> black man's music and it is as simple as that :)

> So let us give our respect
> to all those people who showed us the way and go ahead and make music.

> think that is why we are musicians and w sholud make money by playing live.
> If your music is getting circulated on the digital domain and your name
> remains intact with the song while it goes from one hard disk to another to
> cd's to the internet to P2P .. in a way i think it is good for you maybe
> someone wil call you up and give you gigs .i think we should exploit these
> virtual channels now that we are in 2005.

Maybe I should have read this before sending my <troll/thinking out loud>
reply. I guess the last paragraph (as I have broken it) reflects the
pragmatic way forward at this time. The people that used to make their
living as (music) producers, distributors, etc. will find (gradually or not)
that they have to seek a new way to make a living. Those that "squeezed out"
enough millions to live on may not have to worry. That they squeezed out
those millions may make me feel jealous / resentful, but that's life.

Randy Kramer