[linux-audio-user] Re: OT Spam

From: Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 09 2005 - 07:39:29 EEST

>From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
>
>I used my previous address for +10 years and it is now getting 200-400
>spams a day. Sure I can filter it, but looking for false-positives is just
>impossible with this much spam coming in.

Have you noticed how experts (like the one who won the Millenium
award, Lee something) promotes only filter technologies (because they
sell the filtering software)?

Filters will not be a solution because the spam still goes
through the whole network. The spam is deleted only at the
destination. Over 2/3 of the mail traffic is now spam.
(And that could be based on mail counts, not on mail sizes.
Spams have large attachments.)

They should filter at ISP which gives the feed to the spammer.
If the ISP receives a mail with 100000 addresses or 100000 mails,
then the mails are deleted right at the source.

Better would be if the whole mail system would be moved to use
p2p technology or a handshaking tech (mailman seems to use some
sort of manual handshaking in the subscription procedure). They
would not filter the spam but validity of the sender would become
verified. I have never understood why somebody should be able to
send me a mail anonymously.

Juhana