Re: [linux-audio-user] hello gentoo? speed up please...

From: Aaron Trumm <aaron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 11:50:47 EEST

> 1: update kernel to at least 2.6.11
> 2: make sure the jack tmpdir is set to a ramdrive (tmpfs)
> 3: try building jack from cvs (there's been MANY improvements)

nice. thanks :) how do I do number 2? I've never looked at that...

> As a side note, you can patch gentoo-sources with Ingo's realtime-preempt
> patchset. I've done it and the only failed patches was one to modify the
> kernel tag (pointless and not needed) and a trivial one the fails if you
have
> gentoo's custom bootsplash framebuffer (Nothing significant. It just adds
> brackets into an if statement) That patch will speed up the latency quite
> bit. Use it with caution though because you will trade off speed for
> stability.

I thought those patches were already a part of some kernels... ? I could've
sworn I ...well I don't really remember *laugh* but I could've sworn I used
a gentoo kernel that had those patches applied...*thinks hard*

> You can also muck around with the kernel's compiler flags
> in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/Makefile but again, you'll be playing with
fire.

blech :)

well - all of this will have to wait as I - ahem - recover from a big 'ol
crash (hadn't tweaked any settings yet - just total coincidence)