[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Concerning libfst, vstserver, and dssi-vst

From: Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 11:34:16 EEST

Paul Davis:
>>One thing that distinguishes dssi-vst from vstserver and jack-fst is
>>that it manages threading in the Windows parts of the code using the
>>Windows threads API rather than pthreads, which means it ought not to
>>be sensitive to threading-related changes in Wine. Of course, that's
>>only theory.
>
>the way wine now handles threading makes this point mostly moot. wine
>completely overrides the pthread "vfunc" table for any NPTL system and
>even (i think) newer linuxthreads ones. you may think your app calls
>pthread code, but if its linked using winemaker, its not (at least,
>not directly) :) and of course, the new version of fst will require
>winemaker compilation as well.

Yes, in theory, there should be no difference. But try to compile
a shared library that links to libwine and use pthread functions,
without linking with libpthread. This worked with wine 9.12.2003,
but not anylonger. I had to use some crazy hacks on wine to make vstserver
compile for about a year ago or something. And later it got worse
(unable to compile). The way wine/winemaker constantly changes is so
tiresome that I just don't want to touch it anymore. (Perhaps thing have
got better now, though.)